Saturday 5 November 2011

Remember, remember the 5th November........

My neighbour had an abundance of lavender this year in their garden and so they let me gather as much as I wanted.  Last weekend I made these bags and filled them with the pieces I had dried.  I now owe them a bag or two for letting me pick the lavender.   The only tatting is the little butterflies which I have sewn on the ribbons.  


It has been an exciting evening watching the pop-a-bobbins fly out of Jane's Etsy shop together with listening to the fireworks as it is Guy Fawkes night here in England.  We remember the day in 1605 when Guy Fawkes was found in the cellars of the Houses of Parliament in London with several dozen barrels of gunpowder.  Obviously we never forget these things!


Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...

As most of you probably know, Jane lives quite a distance from me, over two hours drive away.  Down in this neck of the woods 'Im in the garage' has been busy today starting to make the next batch of shuttles.   Some more wood has kindly been sent by one of my blogging friends, which I am going to tell you about very soon.  In the meantime a slightly different pop-a-bobbin is being worked on, same principle just the design has been modified.  I can't show you any pictures today as it is evening and the light isn't good enough even with the firewords banging and popping outside.
So congratulations to those who managed to buy a shuttle this evening, you might even remember the 5th of November!   As I publish this there is only one left in the shop!

2 comments:

  1. Your lavender bags look lovely, I am sure the way things are now most of us would like to see Guy Fawkes come back and try again. We had more fireworks going off around us last night 6th Nov than we did on the 5th, I think it would be nice if a law was passed that fireworks only are used at displays and on the 5th and not any old night.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally, the bags of lavender are lovely. The tatted butterflies are great accents!

    ReplyDelete

Another Heavenly Comment